Newby Wiske Hall
Newby Wiske Hall, a grade II* listed building, was constructed in the 17th century by Northumbrian landowner William Reveley.
He built the house in 1684 and moved in the following year with his wife who hailed from the Wylie family, part owners of the manor of Newby Wiske. Reveley lived in the hall until his death in 1725 and some of his work exists today in the central part of the house.
The ownership of the hall in the ensuing years is somewhat unclear, however, according to Langdale’s ‘Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire’ Newby Wiske Hall was, in 1822, the property of Colonel William Mitford a famous Greek historian.
In 1827 William Rutson, a businessman from Liverpool acquired some land in the manor of Newby Wiske. In 1829 he acquired the hall, and a year later the remainder of the land bringing the entire estate into the hands of a single owner for the first time. Rutson reconstructed the building adding wings, windows and a much of the ornate plasterwork and decorative features which remain to this day. The clay for the brickwork was quarried from the area which now forms the lake in the grounds.
The estate remained in the family until 1921 when it was sold to Albert Ernest Doxford a shipping magnate from Durham. The property underwent a programme of modernisation with electricity and central heating installed. Doxford also added some personal touches to the house, some of which remain to this day. Beneath the cantilever staircase remains a working circular radiator which the Doxford family had obtained from one of their ships and is still operational today.
Two ornamental lions Doxford bought with him from his former home, Grindon Hall near Sunderland still stand guard outside the main entrance. One bearing the scars of being dropped on arrival at Newby Wiske.
In 1935 a pair of Cypress trees were planted outside the front entrance to mark the silver jubilee of King George V. The trees were cut down in 2005 following storms.
Following Doxford’s death in 1937 his wife continued to run the estate until it was purchased by the Home Office in 1949 for £13,000.
The hall was reconstructed and opened as a district police training centre in 1954. During the late 1950s the original grounds were transformed into playing fields with most of the work being undertaken by prisoners from Northallerton jail.
The hall and its grounds were transferred to North Yorkshire Police in 1976 as the new Force Headquarters. After alterations and additions, members of police staff took up occupancy on 26 September 1977. Newby Wiske Hall was officially opened as North Yorkshire Police Headquarters on 21 October 1977 by her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant, The Marquis of Normanby.
North Yorkshire Police sold the building in early 2017 to a children’s holiday company and moved to its new headquarters, Alverton Court in Northallerton town centre.