Body Worn Video Cameras (986.2016-17)
I note the following report which has examined Body Worn Cameras. https://nij.gov/publications/Pages/publication-detail.aspx?ncjnumber=250381
A number of BWC’s have facial recognition technology capacity.
Please provide information on:
- Which company / companies currently provide your forces Body Worn Cameras;
- Whether you area aware that the cameras have facial recognition technology capacity;
- Whether the force currently or in the past 12 months has utilised the facial recognition technology capacity of the Body Worn Cameras / Videos.
Extent and Result of Searches to Locate Information
To locate the information relevant to your request searches were conducted within North Yorkshire Police.
I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by North Yorkshire Police.
I have today decided to disclose the located information to you.
- North Yorkshire Police only has a small number of devices distributed (38 cameras available) across the force on a trial basis. These were provided to the Force by a local authority, which originally sourced them from a company called Pinnacle Response.
In December 2014 Body Worn Video (BWV) cameras were considered and it was decided that North Yorkshire Police would not be increasing the use of BWV cameras at the present time. However, the Chief Constable and the PCC realise that this is an important area of policing and that technology needs to be suitable to accommodate any future developments of such devices. NYP has included some funding in the NYP Technology Strategy for this work, but the intention is to complete stabilisation of the forces technical infrastructure before BWV is further considered.
This decision is covered within the Operational Policing Model for 2016, (see page 9 of the link below), which highlights that NYP will be exploring the possibility of BWV cameras. http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=12198&p=0
2. The Body Worn Video Cameras do not have facial recognition technology.
- North Yorkshire Police do not hold any information to answer this part of your request.
Last modified: February 3, 2017