Business Continuity Management Procedure
North Yorkshire Police (NYP) and the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire (referred to as the Commissioner) recognises the importance of maintaining continued delivery of NYP’s critical services to the community in the event of an emergency situation or period of disruption. As a category one responder, there is a statutory duty under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 to ensure that NYP has business continuity arrangements in place.
In order to achieve this, NYP has adopted, where appropriate, the approach set out in the International Standards (ISO) 22301 Business Continuity Management (BCM) and has created a bespoke BCM System to ensure where possible, NYP maintain critical services at an acceptable level throughout any periods of major disruption to the organisation.
For the purpose of this document, BCM is defined as:
‘An holistic management process that identifies potential threats to an organisation and the impacts to business operations that those threats, if realised, might cause, and which provides a framework for building organisational resilience with the capacity of an effective response that safeguards the interests of its key stakeholders.’
The aim of the Business Continuity Policy and Procedure is to ensure that compliance with statutory duties to implement BCM as required by the Civil Contingencies Act 2004, in order to underpin and assure the maintenance of critical services and activities during periods of major disruption and organisational change.
In order to achieve this the following objectives have been identified:
• develop, implement, exercise and maintain a bespoke NYP BCM System
• provide an integrated and standardised BC approach throughout NYP
• ensure that Heads of functions and departments take ownership for designing, implementing and maintaining their Business Continuity Plans (BCP’s)
• provide leadership and support for BCM at all levels throughout NYP
• to embed a BCM conscious culture within NYP, ensuring that proactive systems are in place
• raise awareness of the need for BCM by all those involved with service delivery for NYP