Home > Contact > Complain to us

Complain to us

The Professional Standards Department (PSD) is responsible for the investigation of all public complaints, whether they are made about Police Officers, Police Staff or Special Constables.

In addition, they investigate the more serious allegations of misconduct involving police officers and special constables. As well as dealing with complaints, the PSD is also able to accept and pass on commendations.

How to make a complaint

  • Via our online complaints form.
  • By telephone, 101
  • By post, to:
    North Yorkshire Police, Alverton Court,
    Crosby Road,
    Northallerton, North Yorkshire,
    DL6 1BF
  • In person, at any police station
  • To the Independent Office for Police Conduct. (Please note that under the new complaint legislation, the IOPC will take a much smaller role in the processing of complaints and any complaints sent to them will be forwarded automatically to North Yorkshire Police. It will therefore be more efficient to contact North Yorkshire Police directly).

Information to include

  • What happened?
  • When it happened?
  • Who was involved?
  • What was said or done?
  • Were there any witnesses?
  • Was there any damage or injury caused?

This will enable your complaint to be dealt with more efficiently. Please also include your full name, date of birth and full address.

What will happen?

Less serious complaints

Following changes to legislation in 2012, your complaint may, at the discretion of the Force, be resolved in a less formal way by means of the Local Resolution process.

Serious complaints

If an informal approach is not applied, or if the complaint raises certain more serious allegations, it must be fully investigated by an experienced investigator. Police forces must notify the most serious complaints to the Independent Office for Police Conduct as soon as they are recorded. The IOPC must, by law, supervise certain investigations and, in others, they may choose to supervise.

Supervised cases

The Independent Office for Police Conduct approves the appointment of the investigating officers, decides how the inquiry should be carried out, reads all the statements and sees all the evidence. The final report goes to the IOPC which states whether or not it is satisfied with the original investigation.

Unsupervised cases

Where the IOPC do not supervise, the police force will appoint an officer to investigate the complaint. If you are not happy with the result of your complaint.

Scheme of delegation

North Yorkshire Police Professional Standards – Chief Constable’s Scheme of Delegation

Frequently asked questions

Is there a time limit on making a complaint?

There is no time limit on making a complaint, but it is advisable to do so as quickly as possible after the incident/s occurred. If more than 12 months have passed between the incident (or latest incident) occurring and the date when the complaint is made, then the PSD may disapply your complaint without looking into it.

An exception may be made if you can show good reason for the delay in making your complaint, but only if it can be satisfied that this will not cause injustice.

How long will my complaint take to deal with?

There is no limit on the length of an investigation. Any investigation should be proportionate to the nature of the complaint. Once a complaint is assigned to an investigator they should be able to indicate how long the investigation is likely to take.

Not happy with the outcome?

You will be advised on the appropriate body to whom you are entitled to appeal if you are not happy with the result of your complaint. If any of the below applies to how your complaint was handled you have the right to appeal:

  • Your complaint has not been recorded by us
  • We have not made a decision whether to record your complaint
  • We have not informed you of our decision not to record your complaint
  • You believe that Local Resolution procedures have not been carried out properly or in the way you agreed
  • You disagree with the action we propose to take as a result of the investigation
  • You have not been provided with adequate information about the findings of the investigation
  • You are not satisfied with the outcome of the police investigation

Throughout the procedure, you can be assured that North Yorkshire Police will continue to work towards the Government’s Charter Mark Standard.