Parents and guardians
The number one priority of North Yorkshire Police is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of its Cadets.
Cadet leaders will be Police Officers, Special Constables, Police Community Support Officers, members of police staff and North Yorkshire Police Support Volunteers.
All adults working with our cadets will be put through stringent vetting by North Yorkshire Police. Their induction training as cadet leaders will include safeguarding training and they will be given clear guidance on how to work with young people and the behaviour and standards expected of them as cadet leaders.
All cadet activities will be risk assessed. Whenever they are out on activities within the community they will always be under the supervision of their cadet leaders, a Police Officer, Special Constable, Police Community Support Officer or police staff member.
Cadets will not be deployed where that risk assessment indicates any risk of conflict or confrontation. If that risk should arise during any deployment, cadets will be withdrawn from the deployment immediately.
Outdoor adventure activities will only be led by staff or contractors who are certificated and competent to lead and run such activities.
Anyone leading outdoor adventure activities will be required to produce their insurance and qualifications to supervise the type of activity to be undertaken before the activity takes place.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- Encourage the spirit of adventure and good citizenship
- Inspire young people to participate positively in their communities
- Promote a practical understanding of policing among young people
- Engage young people, including those at risk of entering the criminal justice system or being socially excluded, in activities that encourage them to develop socially and academically and make a positive contribution to the community in which they live
- Support local policing priorities through volunteering and give young people a chance to be heard
- To help build safer, stronger and more supportive communities
- To help development of personal and leadership skills through a variety of experiences, including the opportunity of volunteering in the community.