Criteria, training and benefits
Here we list the criteria and training you need to meet to become a PCSO and what benefits we can offer back.
- Aged 18 or over
- A British Citizen, an EC / EEA national or a commonwealth citizen, or a foreign national with no restrictions on your stay in the UK
- Have had a minimum of three years continuous residency in the UK, with less than 12 months spend abroad in the last three years (with some exceptions for those living on a UK military base)
- Pass our Fitness Test, reaching level 5.4 on a 15 metre shuttle run (bleep test)
- Only apply to one force at any time; if you have previously applied with us or for another force you must wait six months from your result notice before applying
Initial training will consist of a nine week course involving a mix of classroom based learning, practical activities and assessments.
On completion of initial training, you will be posted to a Police Station to become part of a Neighbourhood Policing Team. An experienced tutor will supervise you whilst providing on-the-job training and guidance for ten weeks before you can begin independent patrol.
There is a nine month probationary period and once completed you will be eligible to apply for additional training and specialist roles as they become available. Read one of our trainers describing what happens in that crucial first few weeks here.
- Annual leave entitlements of 24 days per year, rising to 30 days per year after 5 years service. In addition, you are entitled to all statutory public holidays (pro-rata for part time employees)
- Family friendly and flexible working policies and procedures, to promote a healthy work-life balance
- Inclusion in the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Employee benefits and discounts through Upbeat, which gives you access to special offers and discounts on a whole range of things – from holidays, to groceries
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
Our latest recruitment drive to become a PCSO is due to launch in October 2019. In the meantime you can also check out our other pages for more information about becoming a PCSO.