Policing, a job like no other – why should you join?
Joining the police is life-changing. Not just for you, it will also change the lives of everyone you help.
Ask any of our officers and they will say it will give you some of the best and proudest days of your life, from protecting the vulnerable to saving lives – it’s exciting, diverse and vitally important.
You’ll work shift pattern of nights, lates and earlies, four days on four days off in a fast-paced 24/7 environment where no two
From being the first on the scene and making arrests, you will investigate a wide range of crimes such as burglaries and assaults, going that extra mile to ensure the best chance of securing a conviction.
However, it’s not all ‘blues-and-twos’. It’s protecting the vulnerable when they need you most. It’s being a shoulder to cry on and a reassuring face. It’s working in partnership with our communities in North Yorkshire to make a real difference and improve their quality of life, making them feel safe and protected.
Throughout your career you’ll have opportunities to progress through the ranks and specialise in any area of policing that interests you the most be that as Detective or in Roads Policing, Firearms, Major Crime, Safeguarding, Counter Terrorism or our Rural Taskforce.
You’ll be tested and face some of the most difficult situations you can think of however, you will always be supported – we are a family.
It will take you beyond your own expectations and give you more variety, challenge and reward than you could ever expect from any other career.
This is the job.
Why join North Yorkshire Police?
There’s something special about working for North Yorkshire Police. If you decide to join our policing family, here’s what you can expect:
- A starting salary of £20,370* – £39,150 after just 7 years (*PCDA salary to be confirmed) plus additional benefits including pension scheme, holiday entitlement and childcare voucher scheme;
- Our benefits scheme which gives you access to offers and discounts on a whole range of things – from holidays to shopping. The most popular hits are B&Q, Currys, Sainsbury’s, Wickes and Apple;
- Continual opportunities for advancement throughout your career including opportunities for promotion and specialisation including: Detectives, Major Crime, Counter Terrorism, Firearms and Roads Policing;
- A focus on your continuous professional development which includes a structured Performance Development Review (PDR);
- A well-established wellbeing programme ensuring that you are supported in everything you do – this includes our Welfare Services, Occupational Health team and staff support networks for underrepresented groups including our Race, Faith, Disability, Gender, LBGT and Neurodiversity networks;
- A unique culture where people convert their passion into action and are trusted, supported and empowered to take responsibility to do the right thing.
Who can join?
There are various ways to join us, depending on your work, life and educational experience. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, cultures and experiences – the more our workforce truly represents the communities that we serve, the stronger we become.
Whether you are just starting out in your career or are a more experienced and mature individual looking for your next challenge, this is your police force, please come and join us.