In order to keep the local community and visitors to the area safe the local Neighbourhood Police Team are involved in a number of area initiatives.
- A well organised Pub Watch Scheme which is administered by the local landlords with police assistance. The scheme operates a banned from one banned from all scheme to prevent trouble makers just moving from pub to pub.
- A district wide Shop Watch scheme to reports thefts, suspect individuals and purse dippers.
- A cross boarder Farm Watch Scheme for local farmers to be updated with information in relation to rural crime trends.
- Police assistance with local Neighbourhood Watch Groups
- Passive Drug Detection Dog operations disrupting the supply and use of illegal substances in the local pubs and clubs.
- Deployment on Operation Hawk the Force wide rural crime operation.
- Local Crime and ASB diversion and intervention schemes in partnership with local groups such as STARC ( Safer Targeted Activities Reducing Crime ).
North Yorkshire Community Messaging is a free messaging system for North Yorkshire that allows you to register to receive the latest crime notifications and community news happening in your local neighbourhood. The service has been designed to allow people who live in North Yorkshire to get information when they want, and how they want it. There is the ability to tailor your preferences for the type of messages you want and for what locations. It provides information on:
- Crime and other police incidents, including missing people and witness appeals.
- Rural policing, including crimes against farms and rural businesses.
- Anti-social behaviour.
- Road safety, including road closures and traffic updates.
- Neighbourhood news and events, such as invitations to public meetings.