Police have issued CCTV images of two people they want to talk to in connection with purse thefts in Leyburn.
Between 11.30am and 12pm on Wednesday 21 March 2018, two elderly women were shopping in the Co-op store in Leyburn market place, when an unknown man put his hand into the victims’ handbags, and removed their purses. The man was with a woman.
Officers would like to speak to the two people pictured on CCTV in the shop as they may have information that could assist the investigation.
Anyone who recognises them is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting reference 12180048212, or email email@example.com
Meanwhile, police have issued crime prevention advice to shoppers, urging them to be vigilant:
* Keep your handbag on you, zipped with no valuable items on display (this includes your mobile phone). Do not leave it unattended.
* Do not carry large amounts of cash with you. Withdraw only money needed at the time.
* Be mindful of distractions, thieves working in pairs may attempt to divert your attention in order to steal your handbag or its contents
* Attach your purse to your handbag with a secure cord and keep your mobile in a zipped internal pocket or on your person.
* Some Neighbourhood Policing Teams, Neighbourhood Watch schemes or community safety partnerships distribute handbag alarms or chains, which are a good way of preventing someone removing a purse.