Michael Joshua Ward, aged 21, from Northallerton, appeared before York Magistrates’ Court on 1 January 2021 charged with three online child sexual grooming offences.
The offences include attempting to cause or incite sexual activity with a child on 1 December 2020; attempting to cause a child to watch a sex act on 1 December 2020; and attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child on 30 August 2020.
North Yorkshire Police’s Online Abuse and Exploitation Team is investigating the case and they have ensured all necessary safeguarding measures have been put in place.
Ward is due to appear at York Crown Court on 1 February 2021.
Reporting suspected crimes and seeking help regarding indecent images of children and sexual abuse
- Please contact North Yorkshire Police on 101. If you are in immediate danger, always dial 999 for an emergency response
- Crimestoppers – 0800 55511 – crimestoppers-uk.org – anonymous reporting
- Child Exploitation Online Protection command (CEOP) – http://ceop.police.uk/
- Internet Watch Foundation – https://www.iwf.org.uk/
- Marie Collins Foundation – mariecollinsfoundation.org.uk – support for children and young people who have been abused via the internet and mobile technologies
- Stop it Now! – www.stopitnow.org.uk – Helpline 0808 1000 900 – confidential help and support for people who concerned about their or someone else’s thoughts and behaviour towards children
- Victims who would prefer not to go direct to the police and are not in immediate danger, can contact Bridge House, North Yorkshire’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), on 0330 223 0362, email email@example.com or go to www.bridgehousesarc.org/
- You can also contact the Supporting Victims Unit direct at www.supportingvictims.org or call 01609 643100
- NSPCC Helplines: Anyone concerned about a child can contact the NSPCC Helpline for advice on 0808 8005000; Adult victims of non-recent sexual abuse can also get in touch for support; Childline is available for young people on 0800 1111 or at www.childline.org.uk