Over the last 10 years, 141 bikers have been killed and 1,328 seriously injured on our roads in North Yorkshire.
- Make sure your tyre pressures are correct and adjust them if you carry a passenger or extra luggage. Check you have enough tread and remove any grit.
- Check the chain tension is correct. Oil the chain regularly and check the sprockets for uneven wear.
- Never let your brake pads wear down to the minimum specified by the manufacturer – this will often be indicated by a colour marker on the pads. Neglected pads can result in life threatening damage to brake discs.
- Make sure you have set the suspension correctly for the type of riding you are doing. Getting it wrong can be dangerous as well as uncomfortable.
- Check your oil levels including the hydraulics. Grease or oil all moving parts of the bike.
- Make sure you follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Getting the brake fluid changed regularly is particularly important.