Home > What we do > Licences and permits > Alcohol licensing > Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Our Alcohol Licensing team receives common daily questions. If you have a query on alcohol licensing please check our list of questions below.

View image

How much notice do I need to give for a temporary event notice?

You must give a minimum of five working days for a temporary event notice. This excludes the day of receipt and the first day of the event.

How many temporary events can I apply for in a one year period?

Personal licence holders may apply for up to 50 events per calendar year. Non personal licence holders may apply for five temporary event notices per person per year.

Does my temporary event notice cover gaming machines?

A temporary event notice does not extend the on-premises alcohol licence. It provides separate authorisation for the provision of licensable activities, namely the sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshment; therefore, gaming machines must be switched off.

Who do I make payments to?

Payments must be made directly to the council; please see relevant application form.

What is a licensable activity?

  • Sale of alcohol by retail
  • The supply of alcohol in club premises
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • The provision of late night refreshment

Minor variations will generally fall into four categories:

  • Minor changes to the structure or layout of the premises
  • Small adjustments to licensing hours
  • The removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or addition of volunteered conditions
  • The addition of certain licensable activities

In all cases the overall test is whether the proposed variation could impact adversely on any of the four licensing objectives.

If you still have a question, please contact us at nyplicensing@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

How do I report an incident?

We rely on intelligence and the public to support us in our role. If you have witnessed any of the following or similar incidents please help us by using our confidential reporting tool.

  • Pubs serving underage drinkers
  • Premises opening beyond licensed hours
  • Drug dealing inside premises

Our reporting tool is anonymous – you do not have to give your name. If it’s an emergency, always dial 999.

Before reporting your intelligence, please review the licensing objectives:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm