Home > What we do > Licences and permits > Firearms and Explosive Licensing Department (FELD) > NORTHERN SHOOTING SHOW – MAY 2020


North Yorkshire Police Firearms Licensing Department will once again be attending the show at the Harrogate Showground, to give advice and assistance to the shooting community.

If you need an application form, help completing your forms or simply want to put a ‘face to the name’ of the person you have been speaking on the telephone too, then pop along to our stand and say hello.

Experience has shown that there is never enough hours in the weekend to do everything we would like to do. Therefore, we will be conducting interviews for new applications on an appointment only basis.  A fully completed application must be received into the Firearm and Explosives Licensing Department by the 5th April 2020.  Contact must be made before the show to arrange an appointment .  New applications can be handed in. We will check these forms and prioritise them for a faster turn around. We will also be processing applications for variations and  issuing new Firearms Certificates where appropriate.

In 2018, The Firearms Licensing Departments of seven police forces attended the show.  North Yorkshire once again smashed their records for previous years by actioning 96 variations, replacing 21 certificates for people who had changed address and conducted 80 interviews, of which 32 people were granted their certificates at the show.  Well done to the staff who worked tirelessly before and during the show.  We had expected it to be busy, but never could have envisaged just how many were to attend our stand.

Registered Firearms Dealers (RFDs)

RFDs wishing to carry on business, including exhibiting for the purposes of their business, at game fairs, arms fairs etc.. in the same or another force area, must be registered by the chief officer of police for that area and are required to pay the appropriate fee to register a temporary place of business.  The current fee is £13.00.  These applications must be with the Department by the 1st April 2020.

  • RFDs from another force area need to complete the Form 116.
  • North Yorkshire RFDs need to complete the Form 116a.

All exhibitors who still hold a valid Certificate of Registration from previous shows must  confirm, in writing, their certificate number, expiry date and their intention to attend this years show.

If an RFD intends to bring SMOKELESS POWDER OR SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION to the Northern Shooting Show, they MUST advise North Yorkshire Police Firearms Licensing Department, either in writing or via e-mail, of the net explosives quantities of each that they are bringing so they can be included on the Event’s Licence to Store Explosives.




FIREARM FORM 116[pdf] FIREARM FORM 116a[pdf]