How many days does it take for you to get bored in the summer holidays? Well, why not do something more exciting, spend time with your mates and maybe bag yourself a fantastic prize?
Our popular Lifestyle Challenge competition is back and better than ever for 2019.
The challenge is open to all 10 – 17 year olds who are resident in York or North Yorkshire. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: get together with your mates (teams can be made up of between 2 – 6 people), think up a project and then do it!
Your project could benefit your street, your community or your environment. It’s entirely up to you.
As well as doing something great for your community, you’ll also be in with a chance of winning a fantastic adventure holiday for you and your friends.
- Get your team together, and find someone over 18 to act as your Adult Adviser
- Register online via the form on this webpage
- Let us know how you are getting on with your projects by tweeting us @NYP_Lifestyle
Watch the video
Thinking caps on
If you are still stuck for ideas, don’t worry. Once your team have registered you will receive your pack which includes the Adult Adviser and Team Handbook and our Company Challenges – these are bursting with project ideas and suggestions. Most importantly, you will also receive your Log Book to fill in along the way so you can tell us about all your great work!
Check out our Company Challenges – you’ll find them in a list at the bottom of this page.
Judging & awards
Our panel of expert judges will pore over each and every log book submitted and pick the winners! All log books will be carefully assessed by a team of judges who look at various criteria, including the positive impact of the project on the community and the ability of each team to work together and overcome obstacles.
Dates for your diary
- 15 July 2019 – Work can begin
- 23 July – Summer holidays begin
- 2 September – Back to school
- 8 September – Project finishes
- 22 September – Last day of submission for log books
- Beginning of October – Judging of workbooks/projects begins
- 13 November – Award ceremony at York Racecourse
Here to help
You can contact the North Yorkshire Police Youth Team by telephone or email with any questions or follow us on Twitter @YouthTeamNYP and @NYP_Lifestyle. Call 101 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last year’s Lifestyle
Last year youngsters from across the county got involved in Lifestyle, including teams from Richmond, Scarborough, Whitby, Thirsk, Craven, Hawes, Bedale, Tadcaster, Selby and Ripon.
Some of the activities and projects that took place were:
• Raised money from raffles for Scarborough, Whitby and Ryedale Foster Care Association (SWRFCA)
• Helped the older people in a community by designing a colourful ‘beach-themed garden’ and raising money for plants
• Put on a swing-themed afternoon for a local care home
• Got involved in ‘Beat the Heat’, a campaign to help inform elderly resident of the danger of hot weather and raised funds to supply water to reinforce their message
• Completed a sponsored scooter ride to raise money for a local play park
• Helped to keep a beach clean and raised money for Whitby Beach Sweep Team to buy cleaning equipment
• Conducted a litter pick and cleaned-up the local skate park
• Collected for foodbanks, plus collected bags of household items and clothing for donation to local charity shops
• Organised a 1940s/50s fun day for residents
• Made bird and hedgehog boxes, plus support local residents by making cakes and attending event days including dementia support groups
Last year’s winners attended an activity holiday at Bewerley Park in April 2019, spending an action-packed week canoeing, zip-wiring, orienteering and mountain-biking.
- Lifestyle is open to young people who live in the North Yorkshire Police area or attend school in the county.
- Every entrant must be aged between 10 and 17 years old on 31 August 2019.
- Teams can be made up of 2-6 people (which includes the adult advisor) You do not have to be at the same school. Teams cannot be made up entirely of young people whose parents/guardians work for North Yorkshire Police.
- T-shirts will only be issued to the first 100 young people to register as part of a team.
- Only work carried out between 15 July 2019 and 8 September 2019 will be taken into consideration during the judging process.
- If after registration, a member of the team leaves, the team can carry on providing there are at least 2 members left. The Lifestyle Office must be told of any changes and new member details. A person can only be a member of one team at a time.
- All Log Books must be sent to the Lifestyle Office, Partnership Hub, North Yorkshire Police, I ‘Anson Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4ND, learly marked LIFESTYLE” by 22 September 2019 or judging. Those received after 30 September 2019 will not be eligible for judging.
- Any prize is for the team members only and is not transferable or negotiable.
- For the activity holiday the team members will need to be accompanied / supervised by an adult throughout their stay.
- The decision of the Lifestyle Project Coordinator and the judges is final. No discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
The Lifestyle organisers may release personal details of participants and details of their projects only for the purpose of publicity. Such publicity might
include photographs and/or video film of team members. If you do not wish your personal details to be used in this way, please contact the Lifestyle Office at email@example.com
The North Yorkshire Police Lifestyle team would like to thank the following sponsors and organisations for their invaluable support: The Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, Julia Mulligan, Energi, Eboracum, The Shepherd Group, CNG Ltd, High Sheriff of North Yorkshire, York Maze, Minster FM, York Racecourse and JayJay Media.[pdf] [pdf] [pdf] [pdf] [pdf] [pdf] [pdf] [pdf]