Public Choice Award 2016
Members of the public are being asked to decide who will take the coveted "Public Choice Award" at North Yorkshire Police's Annual Awards event in November.
Throughout the last year police officers, police staff and volunteers have received commendations for incidents that demonstrate courage, compassion or inspiration over and above the call of duty. From these commendations, eight finalists have been selected to go forward to the Public Choice Award, which is sponsored by the Police and Crime Commissioner, Julia Mulligan, and voted on by members of the public.
Voting for this year’s Public Choice Award is now open, and you can cast your vote by clicking on the dark blue VOTE NOW box at the right hand side of this page. Voting will close at midnight on 19 October
The finalists include:
- PC Xavi Lopez from Harrogate, who prevented two girls from jumping from a railway bridge
- PC Michael Tinsley from Scarborough, who single-handedly dealt with a double knife threat from two violent and intoxicated women
- PCs Gregory, Ellison, Harvey, Scott and Churchward, and PSCOs Lewis and Taylor from York, who were first on the scene at a dramatic fatal stabbing incident at a house in Acomb
- York PCSOs Dowson, Warburton, Harris, Calpin, Martin and Burgoyne who entered a burning building to stop a fire spreading to neighbouring buildings
- DC Chris Ryan from Selby, who tracked a violent criminal all the way to Costa Rica and negotiated his return to the UK to face justice
- PCSOs Di Smith and Ange Kaye, based at Catterick Garrison, who worked both on and off-duty to help a woman in severe distress to get the life-saving help she needed
- Acting DI Steve Menzies from Craven, who has raised thousands of pounds for local youth charities
- The Serious Crime Team, whose painstaking work secured a conviction in a “first of its kind” landmark manslaughter case
Officers, staff and volunteers greatly appreciate interest and support shown by the public, so please do take a few minutes to read the finalists’ stories and cast your vote. And if you’re on social media, you can use the links below to share with others.
Thank you for voting!
North Yorkshire Police gratefully acknowledges the generous support of its sponsors, whose kind donations make the Annual Awards event possible:
- CGA Chartered Accountants of York (Gold Sponsor)
- The Police Federation, North Yorkshire
- The High Sheriff of North Yorkshire
- ASB Help, the charity that supports people suffering as a result of anti-social behaviour
- UNISON, North Yorkshire Police branch
- The National Association of Retired Police Officers
- Police Mutual, the financial services organisation