If you have lost property within North Yorkshire, you can report it online.
Please note: we may not be able to provide reference numbers for all lost property reports. The individual circumstances of each loss report will be reviewed by our team and further advice will be provided.
Describing your property
Please provide a detailed description of the property, being sure to note any unique attributes or identifying features. The date of your loss and details of where it was lost (approximate location) will help us narrow down the search to see if your property has been found.
If you are reporting the loss of a mobile phone, you will need the IMEI number before we can search our system and record it lost. It would be helpful if you could supply us with your IMEI number which can be obtained from your airtime or network provider.
If you have found an item of property please take it to your local police station or call the 101 non-emergency number selecting option 4.
Found property is stored in police stations and can be claimed by the owner for a period of up to 28 days from the date of loss. We may be able to send you the item through the post for a fee, again please contact the station where the property has been found for further information.
We will ask you to provide valid photographic identification before we return your property to you. If you want someone else to collect property on your behalf, you will need to provide a signed letter of authorisation for them to do so.
Some property items unclaimed by the rightful owner can be claimed by the finder (exemptions include but are not limited to: firearms, drugs and anything that may contain personal information). The finder has 14 days after the 28 day period (for the owner to claim) to claim. After this time the item will be auctioned, recycled or disposed of responsibly. All personal data is removed and securely destroyed. Proceeds from auctions and unclaimed currency are assigned to the Community grants from the Police Property Fund.
What we don’t record
- Lost property is recorded with the sole aim of repatriating it with its rightful owner. If it is unlikely that the lost item will be found and re-united with the owner it will not be recorded by North Yorkshire Police.
- We will not record a loss if it has happened more than 14 days ago. We will however check our found items for you.
- If you have lost your property in private premises please contact them directly – they should have their own found property procedure. This includes bus, train and taxi companies.
- If you are wanting to report the loss of a dog please contact your local dog warden.
- Perishable goods or used clothing are not recorded, if these items are found they will be kept in the station for no longer than 24 hours.
- We do not record keys or glasses, unless identifiable. We will however check our found items for you.
- We do not record lost UK Passports. All lost reports should be made to HM Passport Office (https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport)
- We do not record lost bank/debit/credit cards. All lost reports should be made to the relevant financial institution and cards should be cancelled.
- We do not record UK driving licences, please report the loss to the DVLA.
- We do not record ID cards, please report the loss to the relevant authority.
Reporting lost property
If you have lost property outside North Yorkshire please contact the respective police force.