Community and voluntary group grants
If you run a community or voluntary group in North Yorkshire, you could apply for a grant from the Police Property Fund.
About the Fund
Each year, North Yorkshire Police seizes property as part of criminal investigations, or confiscates property by order of court. Although we make every possible attempt to return items to their rightful owners, this isn’t always possible.
Thanks to the Police (Disposal of Property) Regulations 1975, if no one has claimed ownership of the property we have seized, we can auction it, and place the money into our Police Property Fund. We then use this fund to give grants to community and voluntary initiatives in North Yorkshire – particularly projects which could have a positive impact on reducing crime and disorder at a local level.
Between 2011 and 2016 more than £120k has been granted to projects in North Yorkshire through the Police Property Fund, and many hundreds of people from our local communities have been able to benefit.
We run two grant application periods a year. In 2017:
- The first application period opens 1 February and closes 30 April. We will evaluate the applications before the end of May.
- The second application period opens 1 September and closes 30 November. We will evaluate the applications before the end of December.
Applications are judged by the Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police and the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire. Each application is judged on its individual merits, and against the criteria listed below. The amount that groups can apply for is flexible. As a guide, previous successful applicants have been awarded amounts circa £500 and they usually do not exceed £1000.
All applicants will receive a written notification of the outcome of their application.
Applying for a grant
To apply for a grant, you must complete the application form on this page. The application form is the ONLY document that will be considered for grant applications, so please DO NOT send brochures or other information.
When completing your form, please remember than your project must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Your group/organisation must be based and operate solely within North Yorkshire or the City of York area. We will consider national charities if you can demonstrate your work in our region.
- Your application must be for a specific project, NOT a contribution to a general fund or running costs.
- You must NOT have received a Police Property Fund grant from us in the last two years.
- Your group/organisation must promote equality of opportunity and good relations within the community.
- Your group/organisation must make reasonable adjustments to any barriers that may prevent disabled people using your services.
- Your group/organisation must have a bank account as we will only pay the grant via BACS
Your project must also meet at least one of the following additional criteria:
- Your project will create opportunities for children and young people to get involved in extra-curricular activities.
- Your project will promote safety and reduce the fear of crime or anti-social behaviour by providing support and advice.
- Your project will help to bring different parts of the community together.
- Your project will help to prevent crime or anti-social behaviour within the local community.
If you have a project that meets the specification above, we very much look forward to receiving your application, and we wish you the very best of luck.