Speed awareness course
We offer a speed awareness course to first time offenders who meet certain criteria. This is an educational alternative to receiving a speeding conviction and penalty points on your driving licence.
The course is a chance to look at some habits that you might have developed and to discuss them with others in a relaxed atmosphere and to explore some good driving tips with an experienced trainer. There is no test to pass the course, but you are required to complete the course in a satisfactory way. This means you must make a positive contribution to the course by participating fully.
You will only be offered a speed awareness course if:
- You have admitted to being the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence and returned the documentation within the 28 day period calculated from the date the notice was sent to you
- No more than 12 weeks have elapsed since the date of the alleged offence
- There were no further offences committed at the time of the alleged offence
- You have not attended a speed awareness course within the 3 years prior to the current offence
- You were driving at a speed which qualifies as per the table below:
Speed limit (MPH)Speed range (MPH)
|40||46 – 53 inclusive|
Please do not request to attend a speed awareness course if your speed does not fit the above criteria.
How will I be notified?
If the speed recorded falls into the table above then upon receipt of your fully completed and signed Section 172 (Driver and Keeper) statement admitting to being the driver of the vehicle at the time and date of the alleged offence, we will carry out a number of checks to determine your eligibility to attend a speed awareness course.
If eligible a speed awareness course offer will be sent to you by post. This will give you the option of booking a course or if you do not wish to do so the form also allows you to elect to pay a fixed penalty fine with three penalty points.
Speed Awareness Course details
The speed awareness course is a classroom based which lasts for approximately 4 hours. The course will be held at various venues within North Yorkshire and it is also possible to book a course in another area closer to your home. The cost of courses may vary depending on the location. – this information will be made available to you once you receive the course offer and booking details. We DO NOT require any payment at this time.